NOU PALAU BLAUGRANA
LOCATION BARCELONA, SPAIN DEVELOPER FUTBOL CLUB BARCELONA AREA TOTAL 42.904 M2; MAIN COURT 32.967 M2; AUXILIARY COURT 4.014 M2; ICE RINK 5.564 M2; FCB SCHOOL 360 M2; FCB SCHOOL-SOCCER FIELDS 12.234 M2 YEARS 2015
The design and construction of the new Palau Blaugrana is an excellent opportunity to strengthen the bond and commitment of the club with the city of Barcelona, and to consolidate the leadership of the club in architectural sports design. With these two goals in mind, we propose a building that recognizes and responds to the urban environment and improves the relationship between the club and the neighborhood. It is an innovative concept with the ability to become a new model for urban multipurpose halls.
Our proposal is unique because it integrates the three areas defined in the brief (Main Court, Auxiliary Court and Ice Rink) in a single building that conveys the concepts of sharing, optimization, belonging and identity, creating a powerful milestone representing the core values of Futbol Club Barcelona.
By stacking the three courts several crucial benefits are achieved, both for the club as a whole, and in particular for Espai Barça (the overarching planning scheme for the club’s facilities) :
– Reinforce the sense of unity, identity and belonging of the new Palau Blaugrana and what its name symbolizes for players and audience alike. No matter which court is used, everybody will be at Palau Blaugrana;
– Increase the marketability of the three areas using the unique and powerful name of Nou Palau Blaugrana. This provides more options to adapt marketing based on the type of event and number of spectators;
– Make efficient use of the land, very valuable, leaving much of the plot free for possible future developments;
– Create a new open space at the top of the building that can be used as a valuable marketing asset for the club and the city;
– Generate synergies and economies of scale by sharing mechanical installations and having a single roof for all areas; – Put the club in a strong bargaining position with the surrounding plots by building independently of the purchase negotiations to incorporate these areas to Espai Barça.
EMBA + PATTERN DESIGN LTD ENRIC MASSIP-BOSCH, DIPESH PATTEL (PRINCIPAL); JON AJANGUIZ, TERESA CHICO DE GUZMÁN (PROJECT DIRECTORS); CORNELIA MEMM, INMA RODRÍGUEZ, BET CASES, RAQUEL VILLA, MARC RIFÁ, PATRÍCIA GONZÀLEZ-MARGALEF(STUDENT) (EMBA ARCHITECTS), JAMES GOSLING, LUKE HARRISON (PATTERN ARCHITECTS) CONSULTANTS FRANCESC RIFÉ STUDIO (INTERIOR DESIGN), SOCIETAT ORGÀNICA (SUSTAINABILITY), TYPSA (MECHANICAL, COSTS), MC2-TYPSA (STRUCTURAL)MODELS PATTERN DESGIN LTD RENDERS SOLIUS, FRANCESC RIFÉ STUDIO, ALICIA SANTACANA(STUDENT EMBA)